01278 457 891 01308 459 533 01305 458 189 01823 446 200 01935 382 680

Accountants Negligence

Making a claim against a professionally negligent Accountant

Accountants are usually instructed by individuals for tax advice so as to minimise their tax liabilities or to complete Tax Returns.

So if they get it wrong and you end up suffering a loss as a consequence, for example paying too much tax because your Accountant has failed to correctly advise you on the personal allowances available, you may have an accountants negligence claim.

Our team of professional negligence lawyers will be able to advise you if you feel that you have suffered a loss as a result of a failure on your Accountant’s part. 

We will help determine exactly what contractual relationship existed between you and your Accountant.  We can then determine the duties owed to you and if those duties have been breached.  If they have been breached we will help you identify the losses suffered.

Our aim is to give you as clear a picture of how strong your claim is and how much it is worth as soon as possible and in any event before you take the decision to start proceedings.  Although sometimes particularly in more complex matters, an expert in accountancy and/or a specialist Barrister’s input will be needed.  As Accountant’s are generally insured for the consequences of their mistakes/breaches of duty, you can have a degree of confidence that if you bring a claim and you are successful you should be able to recover the full amount of damages and costs awarded. 

If we feel you have a good prospect of success and the value of your claim is sufficient, we would be prepared to consider acting for you under a Conditional Fee Agreement – sometimes known as “no win, no fee”. 

Sometimes though an Accountant’s service, whilst inadequate, may not amount to negligence or an actionable breach of contract.  If this is the case you still may have grounds to bring a complaint through their professional body either the Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA) for certified Accountants and the Institute of Chartered Accountants (England and Wales) (ICA) which regulates Chartered Accountants.  If you have been the subject of inadequate service we can assist in complaints procedure.

Please note that these organisations are unable to make awards of compensation/damages for professional negligence and/or breach of contract and may decline to investigate/deal with a complaint if a claim is being pursued.

Professional negligence claims against an Accountant call for specialist legal advice from experienced solicitors.  To make an appointment to discuss your claim, contact Nigel Kinder on 01935 382684 or freephone 0800 862 0442. Alternatively, complete our online enquiry form and we'll call you back as soon as possible.

Ask Us a Question

Call us free on 0800 862 0442 to speak to one of our friendly advisors, or complete the form below and we will email you back as soon as possible.

Reload Image

Featured Media

  • Featured Event

    There are currently no upcoming events

  • Latest News

    There is no news in this category

  • Featured Video

    There are currently no videos

  • Latest Blog
    Benefits of Land Registration

    Do you own property or land that is unregistered? If so, have you... more